Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili- kid friendly!

It is Chili season in North Carolina! Cooler temps mean it's time to break out the Crock Pot and let it do all the work for me. I love chili this time of year!
My 3 year old has a bean/pea allergy so we avoid all legumes and lentils. I came across a recipe for sweet potato chili last year, and tried it, but omitted the beans the recipe called for. I've made it several times since then, tweaking the recipe a little each time. I finally got the perfect chili that we will all eat. 
Try it, you will not be disappointed! The sweet potato is the perfect bean replacement, but still gives you a similar texture. I actually double this recipe in my large Crock Pot so I have extra for the freezer.  --C



Ingredients:
1 lb of ground (beef, venison, turkey, chicken)
2-3 sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
1- 15oz can of organic diced tomatoes
1- 8oz can organic tomato sauce
1 Homemade Chili seasoning recipe (below)

Chili Seasoning*:
1 TBSP Chili Powder
1.5  TBSP minced onion
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground pepper

Instructions:
Line your slow cooker with a liner to reduce clean up, if desired. (Totally worth the money to get these!)
Put meat in bottom of cooker (I put it in frozen, no need to thaw ahead of time!)
Top meat with seasoning, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and diced sweet potatoes. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 
About an hour before eating, take a spoon and mix everything well, making sure to crumble the meat.

**I don’t add cayenne pepper to my chili seasoning, because my hubby and kids don’t like spicy foods. If you do want it spicy, add ¼ tsp cayenne, or more to taste.  I usually just sprinkle a little on the top of mine and then mix it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment