Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Cold Brew Iced Coffee

OIt's officially summer in NC! No, it's not June 21st yet. But, with a forecast high temperature of 100 today, it is most definitely summer. Since it will be too hot to venture outside today, I'm stuck inside trying to come up with activities to keep two little ones occupied while I work. I need coffee! Iced, please.
There is nothing worse than pouring hot coffee over ice. You end up with warm, watery coffee. A couple of weeks ago I discovered Cold Brew coffee at Trader Joe's. This is the stuff dreams are made of. But, at $7 a bottle, I knew I needed to make my own. It's easy, and it is so much cheaper than buying it.  Since I already make my own almond milk, I had everything I need to make it.


Kitchen Items Needed:
Nut bag or cheese cloth for straining
A pitcher or bowl that holds at least 4 cups

Ingredients:
4 cups of water
1 cup of your favorite ground coffee beans



Directions: 
Combine water and coffee in a bowl or pitcher.
Let sit 12-24 hours in the fridge
Strain through nut bag to separate grounds from coffee. 
Store in fridge for up to a week.* 



*This recipe makes a strong concentrate coffee that you can mix with equal parts water or milk.



My favorite is served over ice, with unsweetened cashew milk, and liquid stevia. I've also blended these same ingredients with some dark chocolate powder to make my own healthy clean eating frappe. It is delicious!

For today, I went extra large size to survive the heat and two crazy boys!



No comments:

Post a Comment